View Single Post
03-30-2010, 03:33 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Jeffrey93 View Post
I fail to see the benefit this would provide to the NHL. What was the reasoning behind the NBA partnering with the WNBA? Is it believed that a women's version of the sport would eventually attract female fans to the men's version?

Because you have two problems with that, if that is the reasoning,.....1) Canadian NHL teams don't need to try to lure women in as fans through a "WNHL"...and 2) the NHL in a good chunk of the states can't lure male fans trying to go after the female fan is putting the cart before the horse.

I think the NHL should be getting it's own house in order before partnering up with a women's league.
Actually, if I remember correctly, NHL already has the highest portion of female fans out of all major leagues (although the raw numbers are probably still behind at least NFL and MLB). Which in turn is quite strange, since hockey is generally seen extremely masculine sport.

I would argue that trying to lure more female fans would actually be extremely wise strategy for NHL, provided that they would come up with successful means to promote hockey to women. There could well be more untapped potential in female sports fans and getting them interested in hockey could be easier than trying to get male sports fans converted from another sport.

Noldo is offline   Reply With Quote