View Single Post
Old
03-30-2010, 11:27 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
  • The Kings rank 18th in the NHL in Even-Strength (ES) 5-on-5 goals with 130 GF (not including 8 goals scored in 4-on-4 situations).

• The Kings' overall offense is ranked 10th in the NHL, averaging 2.79 goals per game.

• The Kings have surrendered 127 goals while playing in even strength, which is 7th most in the NHL (not including the 6 goals they have allowed when playing 4-on-4).

• The Kings' overall defense is ranked 10th in the NHL, averaging 2.63 goals against per game.

The overall team +/- is +8, good for 12th in the NHL. Since returning from the Olympic break, the Kings' even strength offense has flat lined and it appears that the team has lost the chemistry they had prior to the break.

The "drive-to-the-net" mentality appears to have vanished. The team is constantly looking for the perfect setup and when they do decide to pull the trigger, more often than not, they end up missing the net or having their shots blocked.

This is a result of poor puck management. The timing of passing and shooting has been off, as has their dump and chase game. The Kings are a team that is lacking an elite scorer, thus the need for scoring by committee. The organization is lacking in speed: their game is to play a grinding, tight-checking style, a style they have drifted away from.

Observe their demeanor in the recent losses. They look like a discouraged group.
What does it mean when we as fans can spotlight problems with the teams performance, but the coach can't or won't admit these problems are there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Agree 100%. It's amazing how the effectiveness on their forecheck and cycle have just deserted them. I don't know if Murray is telling them to be more cautious on the forecheck or what, but they more often than not have one guy pressuring and the other two stand and watch as the first forward in gets beat from behind the goal line.

There are some serious issues in how the team is playing right now. We've seen them do these things right before, but will they start to do them right again? There were glimpses in the Colorado and St. Louis road games, but those were altogether inconsistent efforts, and that won't win many hockey games.

When the Kings have struggled before this season, I feel like I always saw things that were precursors to breaking out of the slump, but I'm just not seeing those things right now.
Its just bad bounces, or a minor bump in the road, "you've got it all wrong." "Everything is fine."

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote