Old
04-01-2010, 12:29 AM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omair Taher View Post
Someone tell me the last time Lou went and personally received a player he acquired. Skoula-la had to drive from Pittsburgh to New Jersey and then fly commercial to join the team in Calgary. It wasn't even a direct flight.

I'm sure there is some significance to that. Lou does a pretty good job locking up the players he wants to keep. With Niedermayer being the only exception, all of the players that left via free agency over the years did so because Lou wasn't interested in bringing them back. In fact, from what I remember, Gio, Madden, Gomez, Rupp, and Clemmer didn't even get an offer from him. Rafalski may have gotten one, but Lou clearly didn't aggressively negotiate with him like he did with Niedermayer. My point is, when Lou wants to keep a player, he usually succeeds. And so far, it seems like he wants to keep Kovy.

Yep. I wanted Gomez gone after his arbitration hearing. His father said some things that made me seriously doubt that he would re-sign here.
Rafalski got the equivalent of a qualifying offer. No raise. You're right - every one of the players we've lost with the exception of Niedermayer we didn't even make an attempt to keep. Even though many of them would have taken relative discounts to stay (Gionta, Madden, even Rafalski among them).

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote