Thread: Prospect Info: 2009-2010 Prospect Tracker
View Single Post
Old
04-01-2010, 09:24 AM
mnwildgophers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Thoughts on Tyler Cuma from the Ottawa/Niagara series.

I'm really not sure what's going on with Cuma. This year has not been a strong one for him, his first after knee surgery. He looks lost on the ice...truthfully. Before the surgery, he was a budding two way defenseman who looked confident bringing the puck up and running the powerplay, but who was also poised to become one of the best defensive defenseman in the league. Now, he's neither. It's almost as if he doesn't know what he should be either. Offensively, he turned the puck over way too many times and had the most trouble with the Niagara forecheck of any 67's defenseman. He had some really sloppy passes in the series. And on the point on the powerplay, he just doesn't look as comfortable as guys like Julien Demers, Travis Gibbons or even the young Cody Ceci. Defensively, he was good in one on one situations and remains very difficult to beat to the net. But in the zone, he's running around too much. While it's good that he's upped his aggressiveness this season, it's bad that he seems to be reliant on it now to play in the defensive zone. Before, he was much more reliant on anticipation, reading the play, and using his stick. Now he's going around trying to be a bully and it's not working for him. Cuma just needs to simplify his game and get back to the basics that made him such a coveted player in 2008. Here's hoping that the AHL provides this wake up call because he used to be one of my favourite defenseman to watch in the league. Most telling stat. Julien Demers and Travis Gibbons finished the series +17. Cuma and Zanetti finished the series -4.
I appreciate the update. Thanks. It's hard to know how our prospects are doing just by looking at stats.

Hopefully some seasoning down in the AHL will get his game back on, and I'm sure that CF won't be bringing him up until he's ready (or at least I hope).

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote