Thread: Speculation: Coburn contract talks
View Single Post
Old
04-01-2010, 09:57 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
They can contend all they want. I do not think any of them are better then Parent or even Syvret.

I understand that you expecting results but it does not happen over night. 3 full seasons is not a lot when we are talking about defensemen development.
It's more than enough time to know what you're going to get. Fact is, from the 2003 draft year, no other defenseman has digressed as much as Coburn has (not even Phaneuf has digressed as much as Coburn and that speaks in volumes). And when I look at that 2003 draft, I see guys who have been drafted after Coburn who have surpassed him in terms of what he's done. Guys like Brent Seabrook, Brent Burns, Mark Stuart, Kevin Klein, Matt Carle, Shea Webber, Kyle Quincey, Bruno Gervais, and Tobias Enstrom have all bettered Coburn.

At some point, you've got to cut your losses. Honestly, I hope next season (if Coburn is still here) that he goes on to have a monster year and makes me eat my words. I really do. However, the guy just can't put it together. Big things were expected of Braydon this year and he was a huge disappointment. Actually, colossal failure is the better term. And with the kind of skills he has, he should very easily be able to put it all together. And let's not forget that unlike Carle, who has never had a veteran defenseman to mentor him until this season, Coburn has had the opportunity to work with Derian Hatcher, Jason Smith, Kimmo Timonen and even be coached by Eric Desjardins. And yet, Coburn still doesn't get it. Even with Hatcher as a coach, Coburn doesn't get it. And before we get on the Stevens bandwagon, remember it was Jack McIlhargey who was working the defensemen.

The only reason why the guys in Adirondack haven't made much of an impact this year is that there's an idiot running the show down there who has no idea on how to develop players. He has misused every single one of those young defensemen down there in Adirondack and he's done nothing but place them in situations to fail. If the Phantoms had a real coach there and said coach knew how to develop those kids properly, there wouldn't be any discussion about whether or not those kids are going to make an impact.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote