View Single Post
Old
04-01-2010, 01:13 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Option #1 is at least interesting... although the contractual elements of it are only speculative, it at least would give us the potential for improvement over Option #2. With risk, of course.

Somebody posted that the old guys have 20 fewer points. But they also have only $5M in salary committed past this year, compared to $18M+ x 4 years. 20 fewer points isn't a lot. The holes in Tanguay and Kovalev's games in particular make me think that there's more of a downgrade than just the points.

The playoff race is already close, so probably there is enough difference there to ensure that we wouldn't be in the playoff race if we had Option #1 in the lineup instead. But the tradeoff to that is that we'd have $70M to play with over the next 4 years, and a higher draft pick. Possibly enough money to find even better players. Possibly a better odds of a stud player in the draft. (And possibly not).

I dunno. If this team does miss the playoffs, however, or gets bounced hastily, then the attractions of Option #1 are enhanced.
I think you're one of the best posters on this board.

As usual I agree with you. At least with option 1 we aren't stuck with bad contracts for the forseeable future and we still might've snuck into 8th with them as well. You're able to look at the big picture here and I think a lot of folks don't consider this.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote