View Single Post
Old
02-13-2005, 10:10 AM
mazmin
Go! Jets! Go!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Get a clue buddy.Winnipeg is not a terrible hockey market.They lost their team due to finances.When the escalation of NHL salaries began to spin out of control,the Jets could not survive.No local ownership group stepped up to keep the team in Winnipeg and it was sold
You're exactly right. There's a surprising amount of rich and powerful people in Winnipeg but no one stepped up because they didn't make those millions by buying into a sport on decline (look where we are today). Izzy Asper was practically begged by the whole city to "save our Jets" but was declined not because Winnipeg is a bad market but because the NHL was a bad market.

In reply to the initial thread I agree there should be contraction and relocation. Unfortunatly Bettman won't want any of his cuz he's to blame for putting teams in stupid places and doesn't want to look like an even bigger idiot by giving up on them.

If I could have it my way Anaheim, San Jose, Nashville, Atlanta, Carolina, Phoenix, and Florida would get cut. Two teams would relocate to Winnipeg and Quebec and hockey would be a much, much healthier sport. Of course this all depends upon a stable hockey economy which the NHLPA refuses to have.