View Single Post
Old
04-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Kjell Dahlin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
The reason they got so much ES icetime is because every time he was on the ice, we're hemmed in our zone and he can't change. There's a reason he had so many shifts well over a minute long. Gill and Gorges on the other hand had short shifts, so they can't possibly have been as bad as you suggest since they hardly ever need to be on the ice long (aside from the PK). Just look at the icetime stats: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreport...0/TV021158.HTM

Gorges and Gill made regular line changes (35-40 second shifts) while MAB had multiple 1min+ shifts even when you take out those on the PP. In the third he literally averaged over a min a shift (and we didn't sustain any offensive pressure so you can't say he was in the offensive zone). The stats are there. Although McGuire showing highlights of every single blunder leading to an odd man rush again and again last night probably made people's view on him worse. Like I said before though, this isn't something to be mad about. It's a given when it comes to MAB. That's why he makes less than a mil, that why Martin played him on forward. I hate how Martin doesn't even try to shelter him and seems to always play him either with our second worst D and/or 4th line. At least if he's played with our good offensive lines, we'll be in the offensive zone not in the D zone.
I agree with everything you wrote but I just want to add, regarding "... we're hemmed in our zone and he can't change..." , that most of the times, Pouliot – Gomez – Gionta were also on the ice (Pouliot, Gomez, Gionta, Hamrlik and Bergeron played the whole game against PHI’s top line) when we were stuck in our zone. Van Riemsdyk (he played a GREAT game!) and his linemates completely outplayed them.

Regarding "... Gill and Gorges on the other hand had short shifts, so they can't possibly have been as bad as you suggest...": I still consider our 3rd pairing as a solid one but after watching Martin’s lukewarm hockey and reading/hearing all the flak Bergeron is currently receiving, I felt the need to show my gratitude towards anyone in Habs land who actually tries to CREATE something. My intention was also to underline that Gill – Gorges are solid but they NEVER try to generate stuff from an offensive perspective. Heck... O'Byrne is doing a better job at supporting our forwards in the O zone! I would gladly insert Subban in Gill’s spot.

That being mentioned, I am willing to admit that I went, slightly , overboard when I wrote: "...Take Gill – Gorges for instance: I swear to GAWD, when they are on the ice, our opponent might as well remove their G for an extra attacker! ..."!

PS people should also realise that without Bergeron, this team would have score ZERO goal in the last two games.

Last edited by Kjell Dahlin: 04-03-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Kjell Dahlin is online now   Reply With Quote