Thread: Larry Brooks: Rangers had done deal for Stamkos
View Single Post
Old
04-04-2010, 06:33 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Rangers had done deal for Stamkos

Glen Sather started talking to then part TB owner Len Barrie about Stamkos when the Rangers played TB in Prague.

Quote:
The Rangers' GM told Slap Shots on Thursday that he "shook hands" on a trade last year that would have brought Steven Stamkos from Tampa Bay to New York less than halfway through the brilliant 20-year-old center's rookie season.
Quote:
By the time the Blueshirts visited Tampa on Thanksgiving of 2008, the talks had become serious. Barrie was asking to choose two or three from a wish list that featured Michael Del Zotto, Evgeny Grachev, Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky and Dan Girardi.
Quote:
"How close did we come?" Sather asked rhetorically, repeating the question we posed to him as the Rangers practiced in Tampa on Thursday. "We shook hands on it, that's how close.

"I'd been on it since Europe. I had an agreement with Len Barrie. I asked him if he had the authority to make the trade, and he assured me that he did, because he was an owner.

"But the next day, I found out that he didn't. He went to run the deal by [GM] Brian Lawton, who wanted no part of it. As I understood it, the way it was told to me, Barrie was still going to make the deal, but then he was told that he couldn't unless he got the approval of [co-owner] Oren Koules.

"Koules shot it down," said Sather. "That was the end of it."
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...Vq92kFkpEFVBMI

How did Brooks get Sather to discuss this on the record?Usually a GM discusses something like this years later in a book or an interview when he is no longer the GM. Who told Brooks the names of the players on the list?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote