View Single Post
Old
04-05-2010, 04:35 PM
hlundqvist30*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I give him credit for finally adapting, but I still question why he thought he was going to magically turn a bunch of scrubs into a team capable of playing run-and-gun hockey.

He's righted a wrong. But the wrong was unnecessary to begin with.
Hindsight is 20/20. It wasn't unreasonable to think that Higgins, Lisin, and Gilroy could be major components of a run-and-gun system in the beginning of the year. Of course, now we know otherwise.

It's silly to criticize him for not getting it right from the very beginning. Not many people do, in any profession. It's about adapting and learning. Did Tortorella take a bit too long to adapt? Perhaps, but nobody has suffered significantly from it. It took Tom Coughlin 3 seasons and almost being fired for him to get his **** together. Now all he'll be remembered for is his Super Bowl win. I'm not saying Tortorella will win a Stanley Cup or even come anywhere near it, but here's the point: If in September I told you that come April Marc Staal would be top 6 in even strength goals for defenseman without undermining his defensive play you would have been euphoric. It doesn't matter if it took him a month or two longer than you would have liked to get there. The end result is what matters. Two or so rocky months out of Staal's career are insignificant. What matters is that he got to where we want him.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote