View Single Post
Old
09-28-2003, 05:01 AM
VAThrasher

vCash: 500
Eyewitness Account

Greetings Preds fans. Thought I'd copy/paste my somewhat biased account of the game from another board.

I was very impressed with the team defense in general. I thought the shot count was very misleading as the play seemed pretty even. It was my first look at Majesky, and with Exelby and Sutton, I feel a lot better about our physical presence in the slot.

It was a hard hitting affair, especially early - specifically, Lessard went after Kloucek after Kloucek nailed Cowan in the open ice. Majesky nailed Tootoo with his head down coming out of the zone along the boards. Ben Simon was running everyone - actually I was impressed with his effort to make the Preds' squad - at one point Heatley whacked him in the neutral zone out of frustration earning a long look from Kerry Fraser. I was impressed with Lehtonen. He handled the puck pretty confidently, made some good close-in saves and scrambled better than advertised. He was beaten on a breakaway (sweet move to backhand, then top-shelf by Hartnell) and off a power-play scramble in front (Orsagh - I couldn't see it well). I didn't notice any unacceptable rebounds. All in all, he seemed confident.

Kozlov put the Thrashers ahead 1-0, but again, from my seats behind the far bench I didn't see it well. Savard restored the one goal lead when he went topshelf over Lasak's glove-hand(short-side) after walking out from the corner on the power play. Heatley scored the game-winner on the PP in OT after the Preds' defenseman (Schnabel, I think) broke his stick. He picked up the puck to Lasak's left, circled to the blueline, walked in and blasted one of his patented, top-shelf lasers over Lasak's glove hand.

On a side-note, I'm in the process of transferring from Franklin, TN to Richmond. After three years there, I'll miss attending Preds games and promise to keep them as my second favorite team.