Thread: Proposal: Trade for a Top NHL Winger
View Single Post
Old
04-07-2010, 09:24 AM
El Emperor

vCash: 500
Trade for a Top NHL Winger

Since Briere's contract is pretty much keeping him in Philadelphia, why not make the most out of it. Keeping Briere, Richards and Carter on the team, we have 3 Centers that are top 6 forwards, which has been the reason Briere hasn't been there for most of the year. So why not use Jeff Carter to make a blockbuster trade for a great NHL winger?

Two players I have been campaigning for lately are Jerome Iginla or Rick Nash:
1. Iginla has lacked having a good center to play with for a long time now. I remember some rumors flying around that Calgary could trade him for the right offer. Not so much since the trade deadline, but its always a possibility. His marketablility would skyrocket moving from Calgary to Philadelphia.

2. Nash's team made the playoffs last season for the first time. He signed an 8 year extension assuming the team was on the rise and had turned around from being below average year after year. Columbus followed that up with an abysmal season, can't imagine how crappy it is to win a Gold medal then go back to your NHL team being a seller once again at the trade deadline. Nash gets wind of a team like the Flyers knocking at the door, I could imagine he would have his agent push the Blue Jackets to pull the trigger on the deal.

With Jeff Carter gone, Briere can take up a spot at center (his natural position). Not only that, but the Flyers would have one of the top wingers in the league to pass to. Additionally, both Nash and Iginla would be players the greedy NHL front office could market so much better on a high profile team. Maybe they would actually lift a finger and at least issue a statement when the refs are missing everything on the ice like they do for the Pens and Caps?

The NHL has become a player focused league and the Flyers have nobody that is marketable or that anyone cares about outside of Philly.

I would go as far to offer Jeff Carter and the 2011 1st rounder (especially for Nash since he's only 25 and guarenteed for 8 years). Would much rather get a proven player than chance a mid 1st round pick that won't produce for at least another 3 or 4 years. BTW, unlike Briere, both players have shown consistent numbers in previous seasons... they weren't prototypical elite players only in contract seasons.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote