Old
09-28-2003, 07:41 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo
Canes rely on brindamour's offense too heavily to deal him for horcoff, at least right now. If horcoff doubled his goal total then perhaps the canes might listen, but at that point he might be more than equal to a brindamour and SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper.
The picks dont really do anything to enhance the deal enough to make the canes want to write off the season.
If edmonton were to add in a winger with some offensive upside, say Hemsky for brindamour. then I think the canes would listen. But why would the OIL want to make that deal ?
It just doesn't add up

I think if the oilers are going to go out and trade a horcoff they should attempt to get back a blueliner instead of a forward.

Also I think the Canes blueline is very underated this year. They have some nice offensive talent in Hedican and Markov, solid vets in Glen Wesley and Sean Hill add to that bobby boughner and the kid Saint Jacques. Its not that shabby.
Brind'Amour is going to be a UFA. You don't get fair value for UFA to bes. Like I said, this deal would be if the Canes are losing - which I, and many other sports analysts/broadcasters think too. I mean two years ago when they made the playoffs (just the playoffs, not even the second round) they were already over-achieving. There team isn't nearly as good as what it was two years ago, and they won't over achieve like they did two years ago again. Valuewise, Horcoff and a second is pretty damn close what you'd see for Brind'Amour, who isn't (as said) an impact player. He's a career second liner. One of THE BEST second liners, if not the best, but still a second liner. If Horcoff were on pace for 40 points at time they were talking adding a second would probably be enough.
oh ya.... The Oilers wouldn't offer Hemsky for anybody on their team in the NHL. If Lowe offered Hemsky for Brind'Amour, the Canes would offer to throw in a third to make them look less like robbers.