View Single Post
Old
02-16-2005, 12:37 AM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
I know the Admirals\Preds affiliation expires, and while the Preds hope to continue it, the Admirals are having ownership problems right now...in that..they don't have one..and Jane Bradley's trust fund is nearing empty. If the team still doesn't have an owner\might move, the Preds have said they might take their prospects elsewhere.

If they Preds up and leave and take the coaching staff too, there will be a lucky AHL team sitting around somewhere. Nothing like getting one of the best AHL teams in the land plopped right in your lap. I wouldn't mind seeing us in a southern city somewhere. Grab some small time local owners, combine with a few retired Preds (like Turcotte) with the majority of the ownership occuring with Leopold, and a new franchise could be created. Maybe Lexington? They had the Thoroughblades whose attendance in their last year was as good as Milwaukee's is this year. The T-Blades even averaged 7,847 in 97-98. And that T-Blades team was 10 games under .500.

I think they would welcome hockey with open arms in Lexington. They have no significant form of it now that I am aware of. I thought they were going to get an ECHL team, but I can't find it anywhere online. They have a humongous arena that is empty most of hockey season (only really used for a few concerts here and there and U.K. men's basketball). The reason Cleveland left was because they were getting a sweetheart deal that Rupp Arena wasn't matching

It'd be great for Preds fans as it would be very easy to travel up and see a game (around 2.5 hours). And any Preds fans in KY would have easier access to the prospects. And fans of the Lexington AHL team could make the drive down BlueGrass PKWY to 1-65 to catch the big club. If Rupp Arena is willing to make a deal, this could be a very viable option. If not, there's always Louisville.