View Single Post
Old
04-12-2010, 02:06 PM
Hextall27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_80 View Post
long distance anything--running, biking, swimming...An hour or longer 3-6 times a week.

For speed/quickness--add jumps/skipping rope, running stairs, sprints, lounges...
Doing cardio for over an hour will help if your training for a marathon but in a sport like hockey it will be detrimental because of the hit it will take on your muscle mass. Unless you eat extremely well and treat your body like a temple running that much will deplete your body of needed energy and muscle mass. Hockey is a great blend of aerobic and anerobic exercise so you need a good balance in your off ice training.

A good training method is to do interval training, it helps with explosiveness, keeps the matabolism up, is quick to do (20 mins MAX) and most importantly wont eat away at your muscle mass.

What I do is simply, run around the block. Ill jog for 4 houses, sprint for 4, jog 3, sprint 4, jog 2 sprint 4 etc. then Ill go back up 3 jog 4sprint 4 jog 4 sprint....ill do this for about 15-20 mins. I'm 6'1 200lbs and in decnt shape and its SUPER tough for me to build muscle so I dont want to loss what I have.

Hextall27 is offline   Reply With Quote