View Single Post
Old
09-28-2003, 01:37 PM
think-blue-

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster
You seem to miss the point - the Laffs rated themselves last in their own draft analysis which included the 2002 draft. Gross was only reporting on what their own document found. I did not include the drafts after 2000 in my analysis because it takes at least three to five years to see what happens when you are drafting 17 year olds as I noted in my original post.
Please seperate the "Quinn" regime from the "Fletcher/Smith/Dryden" regime. If you're wondering why very little prospects are playing for the Leafs right NOW, its because Fletcher and Smith/Dryden left us with very little to begin with. Nobody is debating the fact that this team has historically (pre Quinn) had poor drafts. You cant play what you don't have. Quinn said from the outset that he had to replenish the system. He has done that.

Quote:
My criticism of the draft record was of the team not just Quinn, as I pointed out prior to his arrival he was regularly screwing up in Vancouver. His response then was as now, ignore the draft and try to buy players. The Canucks under Quinn had one of the highest payrolls in the league. You keep trading away first round draft choices for veterans and you get old in a hurry and have a poorly stocked farm system. There was no farm system left in Vancouver by the time Quinn was through - just a bunch of overpaid veterans. That team had to be blown up and rebuilt - the hiring of Iron Mike accomplished the first part.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but That hasn't happened here. Different situations, different contexts. Its not as simple as you make it out to be. Considering he was with a team that had almost nothing coming up to begin with, he's done well. He's made this team competitive and at the same time, replenished a poor system.

Quote:
Besides although Quinn was the coach since 1998, by all accounts he was part of the draft (daft??) brain trust since arriving.
Got any proof for that? Was he running the tables or making the decisions?