View Single Post
04-18-2010, 12:16 AM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by sinkorswim View Post
Yeah, I have no doubt that coaching is difficult. What I want to do is get players who are already coached a bit and have decent technique in skating and puck skills. I would make them do drills to improve all of those skills and teach them new things but just getting the extra ice time will make them better.
The hardest part of teaching children is getting them to listen to you. I enjoy teaching as well, but instead of starting a hockey school I put an ad in the paper for one on one teaching at an outdoor rink for $20 an hour (pay for gas, and I would usually stay as long as the kid wanted)

I would love to start a hockey school but that is a big undertaking. You can't do it on your own, you would likely need to have a few people on the ice at once.

Your best bet is to just teach a few players, get a feel for what it takes, then move up.

Start small, one player, then a few more, maybe volunteer to coach, and then maybe teach power skating once a week as a lot of parents are interested in getting their children some extra ice time.

Once you have some cred in the local community it will be a lot easier to get people to sign up for a hockey camp.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote