View Single Post
Old
04-18-2010, 01:28 AM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherepanisimov View Post
Yet it is just as unrealistic as any lineup that does include Kovalchuk.

I have a question for you Inferno, and I'm not trying to mock you, just to have a discussion.

How do you think we could afford Kovalchuk and still have the funds to:

1) Sign other free agents?

2) Extend our own RFA's when their ELC's expire?

3) Have legit secondary scoring with him eating up all that cap space?

I wanted Kovalchuk for a little while too, but this is how I got over it. We have a great potential core of our team. We have some very talented centers (Stepan, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Christensen, and hopefully Johansen or Burmistrov), great RW's (Gaborik, Callahan, MZ Aasen, Prust), huge potential LW's (Kreider, Grachev, and hopefully Kabanov) and you know about all of our defensive depth.

When their contracts expire, how do you see one feasible way with even keeping most of them while having 10M+ tied up in a one dimensional player in Kovalchuk?

We simply cannot keep together the majority of our core with Kovalchuk eating up all that cap space.
Post #31 has a rough outline for next season. After that, Rozsival can be traded if need be to be replaced by McDonagh. That money could be used to give a raise to Anisimov, Dubinsky and Callahan if need be. After that season Drury comes off the books and there is another 7 million.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote