View Single Post
Old
04-18-2010, 07:41 PM
azrok22

vCash: 3743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I understand your concern is for the offensive aspect of the game.

It isnt going to hurt the team to add a shutdown guy, rather than continuing to force MDZ to play top 4 minutes he isnt ready for.

I think the difference between your standpoint and mine is you think we could land Kovalchuk, and Volchenkov would destroy that chance. My personal opinion, is that we wont pursue Kovalchuk, and that locking up 11 mil a year in a 1 dimensional albeit great offensive player would be counterproductive to our franchise, which is likely the kind of deal he is going to get.

I'll take Volchenkov for four, MZA for 1 and save some space over Kovalchuk for 12 million over 10 years.
Even if we strike out on Kovalchuk, tying up 4.5+ million for multiple years in Volchenkov will solve none of our problems. Our defense is adequate, and Lundqvist hides its mistakes.

We still can't win if we don't score... Volchenkov doesn't help that at all. Don't fix what isn't broken... even if we can't fix the offense this offseason. Don't spend significant $$$ over several years plugging a purely cosmetic crack in the damn when there's a huge hole on the other side of the ice.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote