View Single Post
Old
04-18-2010, 08:00 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
The hole left by a Redden waiving isnt going to fill itself. We dont want to run MDZ, Gilroy, and another rookie all in one year, which is why I recommend getting Volchenkov and filling out a legitimate top 4 defense.

Volchenkov frees up both Rozsival and Girardi to each play with MDZ and whoever our 6th is.

Sign Volchenkov, and McDonagh develops, in 2011 you have probably one of the top 5 defenses in the league in front of a top 5 goaltender.

Defense wins championships. We cant lose if we dont get scored on, same principles apply as in your argument.

I think our offense is progressing. We went up 20 goals and from 28th to like 20th in the NHL. Patience.
We gave up 2.67 goals a game this year. That's 10th best in the league, and that was with Del Zotto and Gilroy both as rookies, and Wade Redden absolutely sucking. Defense does not need a major. long term investment, especially when defensive depth is our system's strong suit.

At the same time, we scored 2.67 goals a game this year. That's 16th best in the league, and we relied solely on Gaborik for most of the year to be in that position. We were damn lucky he stayed healthy, because outside of him, we have no legitimate scoring threat, and I'd say only one other top six forward (Dubinsky).

Fix what's broken, not what's not... especially when our system's depth is also in the thing that is not broken. We are blessed to have Lundqvist, who will hide almost any defensive shortcomings, but he cannot hide our offensive inadequacies.

azrok22 is online now   Reply With Quote