View Single Post
Old
09-28-2003, 07:21 PM
Darth Milbury

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem
This deal is not a bad one at all but again it is a lateral move at best and in the deal the Bruins get older and gain a fairly hefty contract and in the end the deal is not worth making. I don't think money is an issue as far as taking on a contract but when you compare player to player Boynton is a far better option for the Bruins than Aucoin at this point being both younger and cheaper. Though it appears to me that the Isles have solid depth at D and could stand to lose one of the big four (Niinimaa, Jonsson, Aucoin, Hamrlik) without getting another defenseman back. Which would make the Islanders a very attractive trading partner for the B's So would the Isles be willing to part with one of those for a couple of four A prospects in the ilk of Huml, Hillbert, Morrison? I think if the B's make a trade it better be to add another defenseman as opposed to a one for one defenseman deal.
I don't see the Bruin's trading Boynton and I honestly think the original deal favors the Isles significantly. A young, inexpensive upcoming guy like Boynton has more trade value than an expensive vet like Aucoin.

As for the "Isles can afford to loose a top four dman" theory: Unfortunately, you actually do need four guys to play in your top four. Timander will be gone via the waiver draft. That leaves only Martinek as a potential top four guy, and the Isles don't think he is ready. Contrary to popular opinion here, the Isles don't have the depth to move a dman right now. The last thing the Isles want is to go back to the bad old days of playing Aucion and Kenny J 30 minutes a night.

But, even if the Isles did want to move a dman, none of the prospects you offer would be of any real interest. IF the Isles do trade a dman for some reason, it will be for a big physical winger who can put the puck in the net and does not have contract problems (impending UFA Murray is out).