Old
09-28-2003, 07:45 PM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian Fan
People dont know the Thrashers defense very much, they are very underrated I think. Except for Markov this year, I dont see why Atlanta's D is that weak compared to us.

Andrei Markov better than Frantisek Kaberle
Patrice Brisebois = Yannick Tremblay
Andy Sutton better this season than Mike Komisarek
Craig Rivet = Ivan Majesky (maybe Rivet a bit better depending on the day)
Garnett Exelby better than Stephane Quintal

Souray ''healthy'' a bit better than Tjarnqvist or Safronov
I strongly disagree.

Atlanta's defense vs Montreal's defense (IMO):

Frantisek Kaberle << Andrei Markov

Markov is significantly more talented offensively than Kaberle and Markov plays with an edge in the defensive zone while Kaberle is rather soft. The defensive skills of both player are comparable at this point but Markov hasn't reach his peak yet while Kaberle has little room for improvement left IMO.

Yannick Tremblay =/< Patrice Brisebois

Tremblay has above-average offensive skills but make so much mistakes in the defensive zone that it actually outweight his production. Brisebois had a bad year, but he has significantly more tools than Tremblay and can only be better than Tremblay who didn't improve much in 4 full seasons in the NHL, room for improvement is there though. If Brisebois can rebound, he will be definitely better than Tremblay but both of them were pretty bad last year.

Andy Sutton = Sheldon Souray

Sutton showed tremendous improvement in his game last year even if it ended quickly with an injury. Both man are known for their physical play and while Souray is more consistent in the defensive zone, Sutton showed flash of brilliance offensively. Both players are playing a style that leads to a lot of injuries. I don't know how souray will do in the regular since it's been awhile since he played in the NHL and Sutton was considered as a journeyman defenseman before last year. I think they are about equal.

Daniel Tjarnvist > Karl Dykhuis

Both are puck-moving defenseman that tend to shy away from physical contact. Tjarnvist was more consistant then Dykhuis who played badly most of last year.

Garnett Exelby = Mike Komisarek

Both showed great potential in their respective call-ups. Komisarek is at 99% a lock to make the team while Exelby has a strong training camp so far. I rate them about equal so far as I don't think we have seen enough of both to say one is significantly better than the other at this point.

Chris Tamer < Stephane Quintal

Tamer and Quintal are playing a similar style, they both show a lot of leadership and are willing to defend their teammates. However, Quintal was more consitant defensively than Tamer IMO.

Kirill Safronov > Patrick Traverse

I don't think I have to explain that one.

Mike Weaver < Francis Bouillon

Both are under-sized fringe NHLers. While one is physical, the other has some offense skills. Bouillon proved much more than Weaver and is better depth than Weaver.

Ivan Majesky < Craig Rivet

Rivet provides leadership while playing in all game situation. He plays a physical game and displays a mean streak though inconsistant. He is an underrated solid all-around blueliner who can play many roles on any NHL club. Majesky loves to throw his weight around and deliver big hits, can log a decent amount of ice time on a weak club. However, he doesn't bring half of what Rivet brings to the table.

Finally,

Frantisek Kaberle << Andrei Markov
Ivan Majesky < Craig Rivet
Yannick Tremblay =/< Patrice Brisebois
Andy Sutton = Sheldon Souray
Garnett Exelby = Mike Komisarek
Chris Tamer < Stephane Quintal
Daniel Tjarnvist > Karl Dykhuis
Kirill Safronov > Patrick Traverse
Mike Weaver < Francis Bouillon

I do think Montreal's defense is superior and not near of being equal.

However, I do think Atlanta could finish higher than Montreal in the standings with their explosive offense and with Nurminen playing as well as he did last year. Like Habs said, Theo is the wild card.