View Single Post
Old
04-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Bet with My Friend (Shootout)

So, I recently made a little wager with a friend of mine. He believes that he can stop me 6/10 times in a shootout. I score 5, he pays me $100, he stops 6, I pay him. Very straighforward right?

There's one big wrinkle in the story though: my friend is not a goalie. He's 5'6", about 165 lbs., and hasn't strapped on a pair of skates, let alone goalie equipment, since our teenage neighborhood street hockey days. We're both 29 now. I've been playing consistently since I was 15, topped out playing D3 club hockey (ACHA) in college and still play in a very competitive B+ level league in northern NJ. I'm a 6'0", 190 lb. forward. My biggest asset is my shot. I've never been anything more than an average skater, but I always play a scoring role on my teams and I feel like I have a pretty good idea about how to put the puck in the net.

I'm on the ice about 3 times a week in the winter, so I'm still in pretty good shape. I'll admit that my friend was pretty damn nimble when we were kids, hell I think he can still do a standing backflip (he has a gymnastics background), but he generally describes himself as out of shape and needing to get back to the gym.

My question for you guys is whether or not you agree with me thinking he's crazy for taking the bet. I really feel like he's just trying to get under my skin with the big talk and that he made the bet because he doesn't think we'll ever really get the chance to suit him up. But he insists that he honestly thinks he's going to win, and I'm done trying to talk him out of it. Do you think a non-goalie can luck into 6 saves? Am I the crazy one? Thought this might lead to a fun discussion.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote