View Single Post
Old
09-28-2003, 08:49 PM
Vlad The Impaler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW
I'm not sure what 'enigmatic behavior of Hamrlik's' you're talking about.He's been the nyi best defenseman in 2 of his first 3 yrs,making the all-star team 2x during his time on LI,quietly going about his business.

and Peca rushing back from major knee and shoulder surgery,4-5 weeks earlier then team doctors suggested because the team was falling out of last yr's playoff race, must be the bitter,poor attitude you're talking about ?
I am a big, big fan of Peca (I'd certainly prefer having him than Madden, for instance). But yes, it does seem to me that Peca was bitter while waiting for a contract in Buffalo.

It's the Milbury method I have a problem with. This habit of grabbing unhappy players, other teams' problems and trying to *build* (not complement) a team with that. Notice also how management wasn't on the same page with peca at one point (unless I am mistaken, there was something to the effect that he should stop commenting and start playing. Please forgive me as my memory of the details is quite... sucky).

Hamrlik has been the Isles best D? I don't doubt it. But I will say I think he could be top 5 in this league. He is an amazing player. I can't think of one area where this guy couldn't excel. He's tough, skilled, smart and athletic. I think at this stage of his career, he should be contending for the Norris. Perhaps I think too highly of him but I believe he underachieves.

I think the Isles need a core of player that will strengthen team spirit. Or perhaps it was a coaching problem that will go away. Or maybe Hamrlik can't do more than he already is. I'm standing firm on option 1 for now.

I know LI's fans have suffered through hell when they were under a ridiculously small budget and I think it is great that new ownership was willing to spend and compete. But maybe this has been done in hurry. You can spend and get great players but you need something to start with, it seems.

The best talent money can buy is not always the best solution, IMO.

Still hope it will work out for you guys!