View Single Post
Old
02-22-2005, 11:04 PM
BCCHL inactive

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112
Thanks. I'm 18, so the age thing isn't really a problem. I've played hockey since I was 4...so if I study I should be able to pass the Level II test....and I don't care if I piss off the older refs .
By saying, "senior official", I don't mean by age, but by experience. I'm only 20, but I have 8 years under my belt, which makes me the senior guy over anybody with less experience, regardless of age.

The reason most of us don't think first-year officials should be able to write a Level II (speaking for myself mostly), is because it causes potential assigning problems. We have a few guys around 20-23 years old who are first-year officials, but assignors don't get that information. They get age and level. For so many years, seeing that an official is in his late teens or early 20s with a Level II meant that he is capable of at least a decent level of hockey. Unfortunately earlier this season, there were a couple rookies of that age with Level II certification who were assigned to Midget house, and probably weren't capable of being on the ice for a peewee house game.