Thread: Salary Cap: $59 million in 2010-11?
View Single Post
Old
04-21-2010, 09:03 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
We'll have two scoring threats and the ability to develop around those stars. We aren't getting stars through the draft. We could trade for one, but that'll be extremely costly, especially a 27 year old one.

I don't see any player equivalent to Kovalchuk hitting UFA in the next five years. I don't think any person advocating for Kovalchuk expects him to make us a cup contender next year. He makes us better, and we probably make the playoffs, but I wouldn't consider us a contender.

What Kovalchuk does, is gives us that second scoring threat (and a dynamic one at that). He allows you to continue to build your core by drafting secondary pieces (ie: Dubinsky, Callahan, etc.) and inserting them into the lineup.

I think Gaborik + Kovalchuk + Lundqvist is as strong a core as you'll find, and we've shown through the draft recently that we can add secondary pieces to complement that core. Unfortunately, the secondary pieces alone aren't going to get us anywhere.
Excellent post. The team has not been in nor will it be in (barring a trade) a position to draft elite offensive talent any time soon. What the team has been good at is picking darn good players who would look awful good as complements to elite offensive talent.

So, you make a play for Kovy (so long as the contract comes in in the Healtey-Crosby range, not the ridiculousness his agent was looking for), stop accumulating overpaid mediocre cap killers (pretty much anyone acquired as an UFA with a salary between $4.1 and $6.9MM), get rid of the dead wood as quickly as you can and fill in around the top guys with the excellent players we've been drafting recently.

Either that, or it's time to explore trade offers for Hank and Gabby.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote