View Single Post
Old
09-29-2003, 01:57 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac
Well, he's on the 2nd line on the pre-Koivu/Kilger return proposal. But if those two were back he'd be on the 1st line with Saku. I just think having Zednik-Ribeiro-Hossa as the 1st line in the meantime is better because it's been hot and can give Ribeiro the shot he's wanted while saku is on the way back. Then when Saku is back to playing abilities (a little 4th line to get his feet wet, then some 2nd line centre until he's ready to assume the no. 1 role again barring any more injuries or an aggravation of the old one), Ryder can get a top line chance. But he'll only play that or the 2nd or he's in Hamilton. Maybe Ward can adapt to 3rd line duties this time. I consider a 3rd line of Sundstrom Bulis and Ward to be just as offensive as defensive and that's good!
He'll be alright though, Ryder that is. He's 23 so it's not like he's too young or not ready like Perezhogin or Plekanec.
First off let me join Brisebois and welcome you to the board.

I would have to disagree with you about Ryder. Right now, I beleive he has earned a spot with the big club by the way he played during camp, but when the season starts, Julien's not going to throw him on the 1st 2 lines right away IMO. He'll play on the bottm lines until he shows the confidence and scoring touch are high enough to play in an offensive role.

I also don't understand why you said it's one of the 2 1st lines or Hamilton for him. First of all, Ryder has to be exposed on waivers if we want to send him back to Hamilton. There's no way management takes that chance. Secondly, Ryder is actually a very good checker. He has enough grit and defensive awareness toped with strong play along the boards and sound positioning to play a very valuable role on the bottom 2 lines. I beleive that's where he'll start until he earns more ice time.