Thread: Salary Cap: $59 million in 2010-11?
View Single Post
Old
04-22-2010, 08:43 AM
beastly115

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
The money and years locked up in a Kovalchuk would give us balance & depth issues. We'd also have trouble re-signing players within our system whether it's now or in the future.

I rather use that money and address more then just 1 need(Center, D, Scoring winger). This would answer a lot of our depth worries, and would help balance the line-up of this team.

If you just sign Kovy, you're going to force players into positions they shouldn't be in. Like a Christensen on the 1st line, or a Anisimov who's not quite ready to be a go-to center. Maybe even a Drury whose offense has declined would be forced to play a 2nd line role. It would most likely mean another rookie d-men(Sanguinetti) playing along side a sophmore d-men like a Gilroy.

This is a recipee for disaster. It's something a team who doesn't want to make the playoffs would do. With a Lundqvist who's not getting any younger, and has voiced that he expects a good playoff run next season; it's not what you want to do by targeting 1 guy and still being left with depth and balance issues.
I still don't see why everyone says center is an issue. We've got Duby and Anisimov now, and Stepan coming soon. If it's a center for Gaborik, why? Gaborik is producing just fine on his own.

For defense, maybe. If Redden wasn't such a bum and was replaced with someone with ANY SKILL WHATSOEVER, we'd be fine. Staal and Girardi are solid, Rozsival is good when his head isn't in his ass, and MDZ is a 19 yr old kid. Only way we can upgrade the defense is if we don't re-sign Girardi and replace him with a UFA, or trade one of Redden or Rozsival for someone cheaper who can still play defense. Anything else would block our young guys like Sangs and McDonagh from making the big club.

As for scoring winger, I agree. We need a second line scoring winger to play in Gabs shadow. Last season I was a big advocate of re-signing Zherdev. He would have been perfect for that role on our second line. He was a good playmaker and could score goals. He sucks as a #1 guy like he was last year but 60pts from a 2nd line winger is pretty damn good.

IMO, dumping Redden and allocating that cap space for a d-man who is actually worth their contract (and can play defense) should be our #1 priority.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote