Thread: Salary Cap: $59 million in 2010-11?
View Single Post
Old
04-22-2010, 03:02 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I still don't see why everyone says center is an issue. We've got Duby and Anisimov now, and Stepan coming soon. If it's a center for Gaborik, why? Gaborik is producing just fine on his own.

For defense, maybe. If Redden wasn't such a bum and was replaced with someone with ANY SKILL WHATSOEVER, we'd be fine. Staal and Girardi are solid, Rozsival is good when his head isn't in his ass, and MDZ is a 19 yr old kid. Only way we can upgrade the defense is if we don't re-sign Girardi and replace him with a UFA, or trade one of Redden or Rozsival for someone cheaper who can still play defense. Anything else would block our young guys like Sangs and McDonagh from making the big club.

As for scoring winger, I agree. We need a second line scoring winger to play in Gabs shadow. Last season I was a big advocate of re-signing Zherdev. He would have been perfect for that role on our second line. He was a good playmaker and could score goals. He sucks as a #1 guy like he was last year but 60pts from a 2nd line winger is pretty damn good.

IMO, dumping Redden and allocating that cap space for a d-man who is actually worth their contract (and can play defense) should be our #1 priority.
We have Brandon Dubinsky who has found a niche on the LW, Prospal who is better on the LW but can play C too, Drury who has lost his offensive touch, and Anisimov who is entering his 2nd season(coming off a 28 point season).Don't even give me Christensen, If he's your first line center you know you got problems. Guys like Stepan can't step in right now. We're trying to make the playoffs and go far. It's what I want, It's what a Henrik Lundqvist(not getting any younger) wants. The pieces are in place, you just got to add to it smartly. We need help down the middle.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote