View Single Post
Old
04-24-2010, 12:10 AM
clmetsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Deon Grant is not a starting safety anymore. If he was, then why would he sign in NY knowing that he would be a backup? That is, unless Phillips isn't healthy...
Deon Grant is 31 and has started 144 games in a row. Why is everyone so ready to proclaim him as nothing more than a backup all of a sudden? He's no Pro Bowler, but he's more than capable of contributing as a starter.

He signed here because of the possibility that Phillips won't be back in time or at his previous level, that's true. But that doesn't mean that's his ceiling, and his presence is enough to make safety a far less pressing need than just about anything other than QB or WR.

What bothers me the most is that Reese's history has always been to target needs early. In the past 7 or 8 years, Kiwanuka has been the only other non-need-based first pick. Nicks, Ross, Phillips, Webster, Manning, Joseph, Shockey -- all picks that addressed an immediate need. And now, when the team has more needs than ever, he keeps going after picks that are based much more on "best player available" instead.

I'm not saying what Reese is doing this year is going to fail, because obviously one can never truly evaluate a draft until at least a year later. But I think he's changing things up more than ever, and that worries me.