View Single Post
Old
04-24-2010, 01:17 AM
TBLfan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heat McManus View Post
One thing to add. Something that helps me is actually pushing the blade of the stick out. Basically instead of trying to pull the puck into the net quickly, you're pushing the blade, increasing the spin of the shot.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that... but if you have a shot at getting your blade on it, obviously it's easier to hit but you also need to move the blade(by rotating your wrists and/or a shoveling motion) to help it keep momentum. Also, it helps put the puck where you want it, in the general direction. If you just leave your blade flat, it will almost always just knock the puck down.

The use of the blade to redirect pucks is vastly improved by juggling a ball on your stick(BTW, I prefer a smarthockey ball). I like to bounce it up a few times then I'll start catching the ball on the blade. It helps you learn your stick and pattern better, you know where the curve is, where it opens up, where it's flat, etc... This is extremely helpful when redirecting low or wide shots because you know how to place your blade to redirect it where you want instead of stopping it or deflecting it too high or wide(well, at least improving your chances). Also, you get used to where your blade and shaft are in relation to your top hand, since that never changes. After a while, it becomes second nature.

It really is the most fun way to develop soft hands which helps with receiving hard passes, which is something everyone needs to be able to do.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote