View Single Post
Old
04-24-2010, 05:31 PM
infidelappel*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Better skating, better shooting, better puck-handling, better vision, better passing, better deking, better puck pursuit...

None of that is relevant in any way towards Thoresen's offensive capabilities?

I don't care how many points he had as a 22-year-old on the third line of a struggling Edmonton Oilers offense that finished DEAD LAST in scoring that season with 2.34 GF/G.

The question is will Thoresen be a more dynamic offensive weapon than Asham or Powe in our top 9?

He will. There is no question in my mind.

Will Thoresen be a more dynamic all-around weapon than Asham or Powe?

That's debatable due to Asham's important physicality. I think he will.
He didn't exactly light it up on our bottom 6, either...and guess where he's gonna be?

This hypothetical argument is just stupid...also, I'm not entirely sure I buy that Thor is a better skater than Powe. Powe is fast as hell, he just has brick hands. Thor has some dangles that he can use to beat second-rate KHL goalies, sure, but we didn't see any of that here in the NHL before. He's going to have a lot less time and space to try to make the types of plays he's been making overseas, and the goalies here are a lot better, too.

Your man-love for Thoreson is appreciable, but I think you're really overestimating his talent with your projections. In terms of offensive output, I think he'll be more or less equal (maybe barely better) to Asham or Powe, and will contribute less in terms of physicality and wearing down the defense on the forecheck.

Given the way our forecheck works, I'd want someone who can hit hard on our bottom 6 over some Euro who might be able to dangle once every 10 games that he actually gets the time and space to do it.

That said, yes, I'd love to have him back, but not at the expense of an Asham or Powe on the roster. We already have Leino.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote