View Single Post
Old
04-24-2010, 05:57 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Sure it is...how does that translate to less ice, better goalies, better defenders, and a significantly more physical game?

Powe succeeds in the NHL because he's a smart player and keeps his game extremely simple. The thing I like the most about him is that he's one of the few bottom 6 guys with a little bit of skill that never seems to try to do too much and get himself into trouble...just does his job. It works in the NHL. When Thor was in the NHL he was an offensive void, and didn't bring anything remotely close to the physical game we see from guys like those. Asham and Powe are great in Lavy's system because they are the guys that get in on that aggressive forecheck you love and hit guys.
Thoresen is a voracious forechecker. He brings energy and isn't exactly a non-physical European.

So this really doesn't matter.

Quote:
Well, he was 23 when he was over there...but that's moot. I'm not sure why you wouldn't care about how he fared while in the NHL though...you know, evidence of his play in this league. Throwing that out there is like throwing out the murder weapon in a murder case.
He's played very well in this league. I agree that throwing out his NHL play is pointless, but it's equally pointless to misinterpret his NHL play, which you have significantly. Thoresen wasn't some kid putting up 5 PPG on Washington's third line.

Quote:
Interesting theory.

In 106 games, Thor has 0.06 goals per game.

Powe: 0.12 through 123 games.
Asham: 0.13 through 648 games.
Again, throwing out static numbers without context is a waste of typing.

Quote:
Asham has been a consistent 20-30 point guy throughout his career, which is probably what you may expect from Thor. I would suspect he could outscore Powe in point totals just because Powe isn't big on the assist thing, more of a put it on net and see what happens type (though, he has put up a few more points when above the 4th line).
Asham has been a consistent TWENTY point guy for most of his career. He scored more than 24 points once in his career. I just did his career PPG and found out that he's averaged 22 points a season through his career. Thoresen averaged 18.

However, in Asham's first 121 NHL games (comparable to Thoresen's 108), Asham average 13 points per season with more offensively talented teams.

He did probably get less ice time.

Quote:
Or he's just a tweener offensively that can get it done below the NHL, but struggles offensively at the faster speed and shorter windows of the NHL...which is kind of what he looked like when he was here.
Or he has the speed, talent, puck-sharking capabilities to be a real offensive compliment, particularly in Laviolette's system.

Quote:
Look, I wouldn't be against bringing him back if we're going to move on from Asham. Though, Asham's cheap and dependable...which I like. However, I'm pretty skeptical of any claims of real improvement based on what we saw of him previously.
Asham is probably not going to be back. It wouldn't shock me. I don't think he belonged in the top nine whereas Thoresen would. Asham had his role forced on him thanks to our lack of top 9 read forwards, and our bizarre desire to field three scoring lines instead of a legitimate 3rd line. Granted, I'll leave that as my opinion.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote