View Single Post
Old
04-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Backstrom #19
Trotz for president

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I had that in the middle of my season...started out with 9 games, 3g 6a, +10 or something like that. Then I had a stretch of 7 or so games with only 2 assists and was -2. Towards the end, I realized I had drastically gotten away from "my" game.

I am a really offensive minded forward, and I typically like to rush the puck, skate it up ice, dangle, and shoot. During my slump, all I was focused on was shutting down the other team, passing the puck up the ice, and getting the puck deep then going for a quick change. It sounds like the right thing to do, but I'm a lot more dangerous and confident when I have the puck with a scoring mindset...and the other team can't score when the puck is in their end.

So I started rushing the puck again, being aggressive, and trying to score. Yes, my shifts got a little long again, but I had another 3 goals 4 assists and was about +6 or so down the last 8 or 9 games.

Moral of the story for me was to do the things I'm good at...not necessarily keeping it simple and working hard, but to play the game that made me successful in the first place.
I've been thinking my slump is being caused by me playing a simple game and throwing a bunch of shots on goal from the top of the circles.

Usually(Pre-slump) I try and stick-handle around everybody. I'll be the first to admit that I turn the puck over a lot, but I also generate a ton of offense. Lately, though I've been scared of turning the puck over, so I haven't been attacking the net with my stick-handling. So I've been shooting the puck every time it's on my stick.

I've got a game Monday night, and I'll be sure to get back to what has made me successful in the past, even if I do turn the puck over.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote