View Single Post
Old
02-25-2005, 02:11 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

vCash: 500
The proposed Nashville package is very fair value, perhaps even more than fair, in exchange for Ovechkin. That's a lot of return, and I might do it. Washington would probably still turn it down, but it's absolutely a legitimate package.

Though he may be on the far side of sane, I tend to think moebeagle is largely correct. The Caps are unlikely to turn too many of their prospect assets into veteran NHL players, e.g. defensive help. Yes, you need veteran players to win, and yes, the Capitals have a train wreck on defense. I'm not sure their plan is to assemble a winning team any time soon, however.

A team comprised of first and second-year players, some respectable free agent signings (perhaps even one/two stars), a better than average goalie in Kolzig, probably a re-signed Peter Bondra, and a group of journeymen free agents could comprise this team the next time it suits up. Is that team going to win many games? Unlikely. Yet it will be cheap and it will be crafted with an eye towards developing some of these players en masse, slowly, much as did Nashville. It would also likely lead to another top-five or top-three draft pick, which never hurts when a team is rebuilding. It's grim hockey to watch, of course. Thank heaven for Center Ice.

I certainly believe the Caps will bring in support players and mentors, players to take the heavy lifting, but I am not sure the team is prepared to expend existing young assets to get there. No, I'm not sure fans should expect that at all. There may well be enough free agents to choose from, if you're not too picky and you don't much care if they come with warts, provided they are cheap... and I do think that may be Washington's mindset at present.