View Single Post
Old
02-26-2005, 12:19 PM
Frenzy1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary
Start looking up your facts or don't lie to me. Whichever it is... Pronger was injured two years ago (5 GP) and was 14th in the entire league in PP time 3 years ago. His PP production over his career tells me that your probably very wrong about those other years as well.
Pronger has never manned the point on the 1st PP unit, until Mac left last season. 1st unit usually consisted of Tkachuck, Demitra, Mel, w/ Weight and Mac at the point. It has been like this since Weight came to St. Louis. Prior to that Steve Duschene (sp) manned the other point for a season or two - not going to look up how long he was w/ the Blues. Pronger wasn't part of the 1st unit. W/ the Power we had from the point, it was more important that he spends time on the PK and at even stregnth.

If Weight was injured he did take the other point, but again, when Weight was healthy, CP wasn't on the 1st unit. (Keep in mind that Weight missed a fair amount of games his 1st season in St. Louis w/ the Abdominal injury)/

Last season, w/ Mac's carear up in the air, he played the point w/ Weight. And he put up some big number for a team that didn't score.

As for the +/- stat, yes that is a D pairing stat and Yes Al had part in creating that stat, but, you can't just toss it out because it doesn't fit in your arguement. For a rookie to play night in and night out against the opposing teams top line, and to finish the year w/ a +23, is a great accomplishment. To me, that says the opposing team's top line wasn't able to generate a lot of pressure and score a lot of goals. If he was playing against the 3rd line, you would be correct, but he was playing against the oppositions top line.

AND FOR THE RECORD, I NEVER SAID THIS DEAL WAS 1 SIDED IN FAVOR OF MONTREAL. I SAID THAT, JACKMAN NEEDS TO PROVE MORE (1 year isn't enought - but same can be said for 28 year old Souray who is 6 years older), AND THAT THE BLUES WOULDN'T MAKE THE TRADE, BECAUSE WE DO NOT HAVE ANYONE IN THE SYSTEM THAT IS PROJECTED AS A TOP PAIRING D MAN w. an edge that could fill Jackman's role.

Backman is a younger version of Markov. And the Blues have a lot of 3rd liners in the AHL and on the current roster. We need highend offensive tallent at the forward position. Mayers is a good 3rd line forward, but the Blues had him on the 2nd line last year due to lack of key offensive depth.

If Jackman was traded it would be for a young stud forward.