View Single Post
Old
04-27-2010, 02:08 AM
hlrsr

vCash: 500
I realize we all like to buy into the whole "never sit in a defensive shell because it'll bite you" thing, but to me game 4 last year wasn't your usual defend a lead situation.

That was probably the best I've seen the Canucks defend a lead since the lockout. Seriously. It wasn't like we were sitting there and the Hawks just took it to us at all. The shots in the 3rd period were 7-4, hardly a dominating period by a pressing Hawks team. It was just an odd game.. it was like the defensive play was so effective that the players just bought into it more and more as the game went on. Ultimately it was just a brainfart by Mitchell that gave Havlat a good chance that unfortunately went in. I realize you're playing with fire defending a 1-0 lead for that long, but that game was different for me because the shell was just so effective for so long. Much more so than what we usually see when a team sits back a bit and the other team presses to tie it.

In that particular situation, I just have a harder time blaming the offense for not scoring more. The Canucks were still controlling that game, even without sustained offensive pressure.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote