View Single Post
Old
02-27-2005, 02:32 AM
BCCHL inactive

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10
I grew up playing before you had to wear masks (until I was 13), and HATE wearing them or helmets, but players in the last 20 years have shown they have no brains whatsoever as far as keeping their sticks down (and the refs don't help, because they don't call the penalties they should). ANY TIME you hit someone in the head with your stick you should get a penalty! End of story, end of discussion! If you can't keep your stick below your shoulder, you maybe shouldn't be playing, or maybe the next time one of us old-timers will cut your f***ing heart out with OUR stick! It's about respect for the game and your opponent. Sure, we all want to win, but at what cost? Do you REALLY want to damage another player's eye? If you do, I can only say I hope you rot in prison without Vasoline! Because you aren't the kind of person who should be playing hockey in the first place!
I don't think referees are much of a problem. Usually with high sticks being not called, it has more to do with the play simply not being seen by the referee. That, and there is always an exception to the rule. For example, if a player getting knocked down accidently has his stick clip somebody in the head, I'm not likely to call it unless I feel it was intentional.

What I think is more of a problem is a league like the NHL having a rule where if you nail somebody in the face on a follow-through of a slapshot, you don't get a penalty. Such rules only promote waving your stick around, and it just gives players outside the NHL some ammo when they argue their high sticking penalty in a situation where the referee does call it on a follow-through.