Old
04-28-2010, 08:41 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
I respectfully disagree. I don't see the AHL as that much of a significant difference in development. Wisconsin is the most NHL ran style college out there. Those extra 20 games being played are just 20 more days he could be practicing.

"However, a recent study by Jack Blatherwick revealed the startling results… in an average 60 min hockey game, players averaged 9.6 min of ice time. The average player touched the puck 7 times over 9 shifts. Take into consideration that the top end players touched the puck more and had a few more shifts, but hardly enough repetitions to develop their skills into a reactive response. However, playing of games has its place in development, as it is a stage to test and compare your skill and physical development. Remember though, without perfect technique that can only be developed through proper repetitive training, you will only be repeating bad habits. Development prior to games is the key to success."

Obviously he would play more than 9.6 minutes but you get the point. The total games thing is a bs argument and I don't agree with it.
How is it a BS argument? How frequently do we see college players going straight to the pros hit a wall around mid-season? Playing 82 games against grown men is a tough task when a player is accustomed to playing 50 games against teens. The extra games played against superior competition in the AHL will certainly serve to better prepare a player for the daily rigors of the NHL. I'm not exactly sure how anyone could dispute this.

I don't think McDonagh has anything left to prove at the NCAA level, and he'd be well served to begin learning the professional game.

It's just pain.