View Single Post
Old
09-29-2003, 09:43 AM
MeisterBruinmaker

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to MeisterBruinmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb74
A question for those of you that have been able to get to some of the pre-season games (as well as a general inquiry)...

How do you see the system the Bruins are looking to adopt shaping up? Any references you could compare it to? Jersey with the forecheck and trapping, Detriot with the puck control, etc...

Additionally, being in Europe and only getting an occassional game on the BBC when I get into London, I was hoping someone could shed some light onto the Bruins' style and character these days - I grew up watching them - 80's & early 90's (on the Cape at the time) and have a recollection of a strong, hard hitting, and balanced team where people had "roles" and filled them appropriately. I haven't seen a Bruins game is quite some time now and was wondering if the team image (of itself and to the other teams) is still the same - mean & lean.? If not, what are your thoughts on it's current playing style and image.

Can the Bruins get back to this style of play with their current roster? What are we missing to strike fear into the opponents and is it in the 3 year plan (assuming the head office has one.)?
The Bruins will shoot for a variation of the trap with puck pursuit and pressure. They will probably send at least one forechecker in deep and then look to force the play by clogging the passing lanes in the nuetral zone. How aggressive they are and how many players go deep remains to be seen, but if they want to aggressively pursue the puck down low, they won't be able to play the trap as effectively because you need 4-5 players planted in the middle. Either way, Sullivan wants a hard working, defensively aware team that makes good decisions in the critical areas, especially on their blueline and in the red zone.

The Bruins should be able to adapt to this kind of play with their roster. However, it will start with how effective Sullivan is with translating his gameplan to the ice. Players will have to understand his system as well as their roles and what decisions to make when. The coaching staff has their work cut out for them, Sullivan and Maciver are both inexperienced in the NHL.