Thread: Speculation: End of the line for Sather?
View Single Post
Old
04-28-2010, 06:45 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
I hear that a lot from isles fans, but really when you look at it how much worse could he have been? He had a playoff team, traded three draft picks for a rental, lost in the first round. And since then they've been a bottom feeder in the NHL. Sorry, but I don't really see how anyone could think he's been anything other than bad.
All of these points are half-truths and highly subjective in nature. Both myself and others have explained that to you in detail in the past.

To quote myself:

Quote:
What do you mean? Essentially, he traded a first round pick for a rental player. Players of Smyth's stature usually command such a return in that situation. O'Marra is nothing and Nilsson is a total scrub who'll be playing in Sweden before long. You can't criticize Snow for drafting either of those players, because he didn't. Milbury, the only NHL exec that surpasses Sather in completely failing to understand logical concepts and themes prevalent around the league, drafted those losers.

Snow traded one first round pick and banished two scrubs who weren't "his" guys for a rental of Ryan Smyth, with the added chance of wooing him to stay. He didn't, he's a country boy. But they tried.

This was actually a pretty shrewd move on the part of Snow. Not to mention ballsy. He's doing a solid job, a couple of early setbacks aside. Of course I'd rather have him than Sather. Garth Snow gets it. Like most of the GMs in this league, he gets what's going on, how the league works, and what's necessary to win in this league in its current state, and he's doing this all under MUCH different, and more stressful circumstances than your boy Slats is. Sather doesn't get it. Remember who Snow signed the same summer Sather ****ed us till 2014 by signing Redden AND Rozsival.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote