Thread: SCSU Huskies
View Single Post
Old
04-28-2010, 11:37 PM
Rabid Husky

vCash: 643
Huskies get a commit from NAHL forward Bryce Johnson from Topeka. Originally from Grimes, Iowa (Des Moines suburb) he'll be just the 2nd player ever from Iowa to play for SCSU. With Nic Dowd coming in from Alabama, it shows that hockey players are coming from everywhere and by God we are getting them from everywhere.
It also means Bryce Ravndalen will not be a Husky, he'll likely play D3 if he decides to continue his career.
This is SCSU's 2010 class
Bryce Johnson
Nic Dowd
Cam Reid
Cory Thorson
Nick Jensen
Brandon Burell
Kevin Gravel

You never know where a good deed will turn up. For the St. Cloud State men's hockey team, it's possible a simple gesture more than 15 years ago by one of their current assistant coaches started the process for a verbal commitment on Wednesday by Bryce Johnson, a forward from Grimes, Iowa.

Johnson, who played for Topeka of the NAHL this past season, grew up in suburban Des Moines, an area that in the past wasn't exactly a hockey recruiting hotbed. He attended games of the USHL's Des Moines Buccaneers as a youngster and one memory that stuck was of Bucs defenseman Eric Rud giving him a stick after a game.

"It's funny how paths crossed so many years later," Johnson said Wednesday. "I remember watching (Rud) and the team when I was real young and that sort of gave me the desire to play hockey myself."

To say he belonged may understate the contributions Johnson made during the season. The 5'9", 160 lb. center found himself on both the power play and penalty kill units. He provided offense for both units, with 5 goals and 14 assists on the NAHL's number one power play, and also popped in 2 goals with 4 assists on the penalty kill, leading the team in short-handed points. Overall, Johnson tallied 19 goals and 35 assists for 54 points, third highest on the team. His 35 assists ranked second on the team. And those were just his regular season numbers.

When the playoffs started is when Bryce exploded on the scoresheet, leading the team with 13 points (5 goals and 8 assists) and also in plus/minus with a plus +10.

Rabid Husky is offline   Reply With Quote