View Single Post
Old
09-29-2003, 11:03 AM
Mighty Duck

vCash: 500
[QUOTE=txpd]The Capitals had the largest roster in the NHL last season. They can afford to get a little smaller. Besides Pettinger and Gordon are the same size. Semin is the only guy that is under 200 lbs. But geez, Jagr is 6-3
230, Zubrus 6-4 225, Lang 6-3 220, Bondra 6-0 200, Grier 6-1 227, Kono
6-1 220. Nylander is the only guy out of the top 9 forwards under 200lbs.
They can afford to keep Semin. As I posted I think its possible that Pettinger stays instead of Gordon and I think that is a toss up. But I see no point in keeping both Peat and Henry. The Caps won't dress both at the same time. Neither Peat or Henry do anything but skate the occasional fighter shift. Neither can skate a regular shift much less take a role on the pp or pk. On the other hand, Semin from all reports is holding his own with the big boys and bringing real skill and real application of that skill. Charged the net strong enough to knock Fluery on his can against Pittsburgh. The Caps made an investment by signing him and bringing him to camp. It was pretty clear that if Semin showed that he could keep up, he would get the roster spot that they had in mind for Sykora. I think from the evidence and the words of the management, coaching staff and teammates that Semin has gone beyond keeping up to being a credible force on the ice. He is getting scoring chances in bunches. He is not afraid to shoot the puck and is getting shots on goal...7 in two games. I have not seen the first indication from anyone involved that the Caps are anything short of sincerely impressed. Its my conclusion that unless things change, he will make the team. That he will play first line with Jagr and Nylander
and will get 2nd unit power play time. It may be just a 15 game experiment, but I think the Caps see a chance to have an advantage. A chance to give Jagr a quality closer that sees the ice well enough to passes thru to Jagr as well. A guy that could get Jagr going how everyone wants to see Jagr get going. IF he is not ready he goes back to russia and Miller is back on the first line. I think with that choice the Caps are more than willing to give the kid a shot.[/QUOTE

Not to argumentive, but how would anyone know whether Peat or Henry could skate a regular shift. They only get 3 to 4 minutes a game. I believe Henry and Peat have the skill, if given the confidence and opportunity, they could contribute more. Both these guys have been labeled goons. Is that not a skill, or was Ali a goon just because he could fight. The Semins, Gordons and Pettingers will only contribute if they are given the chance or will become what you people think Peat and Henry are. Look at the # of prospects the Caps have let go, only to flourish someplace else. As you say, Henry and Peat are not given enough credit for what they bring to the table. Would you settle for a Brashear in the lineup. Well, I bet Montreal would love to have him back, as they gave up, saying he had no skill, was just a goon. Well, get rid of Peat and/or Henry and Brashear will have a hay day slapping our skill guys around silly. The problem lies with the coach unable to find a way for these guys to contribute daily, as these types of players are needed on the roster these days whether you like it or not.