View Single Post
Old
05-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
I do think the Howard contract is probably too high. But, I don't think it's crazy, or out of scope. And I do think he would have gotten the same salary, but for more years from the Yanks or Sox. And the only, possibly, more productive hitters in the league right now oare Pujols and Fielder, both of whom will command ridiculous deals in the coming year.

Pujols, by the way, may be the best hitter of all time. Just saying.
I really don't see how the Yankees or Red Sox commit more than five years to Howard, even if they offered less money. And if they did, it wouldn't just be around 20 MM/yr, it would have to be significantly less than the 25 MM Howard's going to be getting from the Phillies. If that's the case under the circumstances we're seeing, good for them.

I also don't feel Albert Pujols being really, really great should play into Howard's contract talks until at least when Pujols signs a deal. And you know St. Louis is gonna lock him down before FA while inadvertently setting the market for what could (but probably won't) be an outrageous 1B free agent class.