Thread: Massive slump
View Single Post
Old
05-02-2010, 01:06 AM
Mithrandir
I only own my mind..

vCash: 500
In my third year of NCAA hockey I hadn't had a point in 12 straight games. This was coming off of 7 points in my freshman season and 16 the following year. I thought I was in a massive slump and felt terrible about it, complained to my teammates, switched sticks, changed how I taped, tried all different kinds of "rituals" that I felt had brought me some measure of luck in the past (ie. ordering the same sandwich from subway before a game)... nothing worked. Finally in like our 15th game I hit the crossbar on a two on one, got frustrated, followed the puck into the corner and took a terrible and blatant cross checking penalty. After I came out of the box one of our coaches took me aside and asked me what the hit had been about (I averaged maybe 6 PIMs per year). I ranted about bad luck and being ice cold and he told me I was "probably playing the best hockey on the team". In hindsight I realize he was likely just trying to boost my confidence, but I finished the season with 2 goals, 4 assists and a +18. I was our go to faceoff and PK man and a big contributor to our team ending up with our best record in several years. I learned that not scoring and not playing good hockey aren't the same thing and I was never concerned with personal statistics again.

Mithrandir is offline   Reply With Quote