View Single Post
Old
09-29-2003, 12:14 PM
Tom Liodice

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
As it is now, the islanders are helping to keep salaries too high for every team. There is no way a team like the blues should be able to sign a doug weight for 9.5 mill and then lose 40 mill in one year. They are destroying the supply / demand balance in the league.
I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree with this. When was the last time that the Islanders were setting the standards for salaries? The isles started shelling out the money when Charles Wang purchase the team in late 2000. Before then, Isles GM Mike Milbury was basically told by then-owners Howard Milstein and Steven Gluckstern that he could have either a $5 million, $10 million, or $15 million payroll. While the Isles were stuck in the crapper, the Rangers were trying to shell out ridiculous amounts of cash for Joe Sakic, which practically forced the Avalanche to match the offer. In my opinion, that is when the salary structure went through the roof. The whole fact of the Blues trying to sign Doug Weight for that much is a non-issue. This has started way before the Isles actually were back by an owner who had faith in the team. Teams like the Rangers aren't helping the current state of the NHL by signing guys like Greg de Vries for a $4.2 million contract. They can survive with this is because they are backed by a major cable television company, Cablevision.

-TL