View Single Post
Old
05-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Enzo Gorlomi

vCash: 500
I broke sticks when I was much younger. By the time I was about 16 I'd been abused enough by the coaches of the various highly competitive travel teams I played with to know that showing extreme frustration was going to get me yelled at. I learned to go to the bench and sit quietly... I'd start to watch the game REALLY intently from the bench and not talk to ANY of my teammates.

As I got older and went to play college hockey I started to turn that time on the bench almost into a meditation (... that's a serious over exaggeration, but...). The stakes were higher and so the mistakes were more frustrating. I'd go quietly fume on the bench and watch the game almost hypnotically. I'd try to pick up a couple of "go-to" moves from specific skaters on the other team and watch the goalies tendencies. When my shift came up I would go out with one goal in mind; exploit what I've just seen. If I was lucky enough to get a shift against one of the skaters I'd noticed pulling the same move over and over, I'd try to anticipate it and light him up. If I got a good scoring opportunity, I'd try to focus on forcing the goalie to leave a big rebound or throwing the puck where he looked shaky. This way, I kind of learned to turn the shift or two right after bad mistake into some of my most effective, by really focusing in on the action and "silently vowing" to make up for it.

Generally I have a temper but on the ice, since I was young and chewed out by so many coaches for it, I learned to put it away. I've always been an extremely passionate player, as Jarick puts it; I've played through injuries and am constantly sacrificing my body, getting in a shooting lane or separating someone from a puck. I just eventually learned (luckily at an early age) not to waste that passion in frustration and to make up for any mistakes I make.

Enzo Gorlomi is offline   Reply With Quote