View Single Post
Old
09-29-2003, 12:36 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Duck
It is funny how you think they have no skill when there some players who get a ton of ice time, score few, if any goals and not just on the 4th line. Some of these players have played for several years, but their skill was measured in what they brought to the team. You may be misguided in your ability to evaluate talent by looking at the stat sheets to much. Some times mistakes are made when evaluating talent with tunnel vision, only looking at what they or you define as talent. This is were you win or lose. Maybe your team will win or maybe your team will lose.
there are some players who get a ton of ice time who score few, if any goals and not just on the 4th line? Who? First...what qualifies as a ton of ice time? Second, Peat is a forward and Henry plays mostly forward.
For the sake of this post I will take a tone of ice time to be something over 10:00 average per game and that we are talking about forwards. Jagr and Bondra have scored 50. Lang and Nylander have scored 20, Grier, Konowalchuk and Halpern have scored 20 or more. Semin is a rookie, but he did lead the russian lead in scoring in last years playoffs. Miller had 50 pts last season. Which of these guys that are getting a ton of ice time and scoring few if any goals are you talking about? Are you in some way trying to compare Peat to Witt? For Peat or Henry to be able to carry a regular shift on a NHL team they need to be able to Handle the puck at least enough to dump the puck in from center ice and be able to catch a pass and shoot it into an empty net. He needs to be able to play the system and be able to at minimum throw a fundimental body check. Both of those guys have not shown they can do that. Otherwise they would play more. The Capitals dressed them both twice last season. Every shift that they took accept one when the puck found its way into the Caps zone the goalie stopped the play or the puck was iced. With those 2 guys on the ice the Caps had no chance of getting out without shooting it out. That says a lot. I
there are guys that skate like the tazmanian devil, hit and make stir the pot and build energy. if Peat could do that, he would play 8-9:00 a game. At minimum that is what Sutherby did last year. That and winning face offs is all Whitfield can do in the NHL. That and kill penalties. Are you saying that Cassidy is blinded by Peat's fighting skills and doesn't realize that he could bring something to the penalty killing unit?
I never said I don't like these guys. I would keep Peat. I see no reason to keep them both. They both won't dress for the same game. So why not play one and let the other one stay fresh in the AHL?