Thread: Speculation: Which Big Salaried Forward Goes?
View Single Post
Old
05-04-2010, 07:43 AM
param

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coooldude View Post
Any team in the league would take Datsyuk or Crosby over Thornton. Hell, I'd take those trades in a direct swap. Crosby goes without saying, but I'd also take Datsyuk over Joe.

How do we know Setoguchi can become a consistent 30+ goal scorer? He's talented, but he has also been inconsistent. 30 goals is a lot of goals. Scoring that many goals consistently is pretty rare. I don't think Seto has proved this type of skill yet.

My heart says I want Marleau to stay, although these playoffs are painful because he really is digging himself a hole. My head says he's the easy choice to let walk.

But, as another poster said, the Cup changes everything. We won't win the cup without Marleau contributing in points and intangibles, plain and simple. And if we get to the finals, that means it's likely we'll move pieces around to try to keep him, even if it means our D is weak or we see one of our RFA's walk for a contract (seto).
Like GuitarByte said about Setoguchi, except it was more like 20 goals on the 2nd/3rd lines. For a good portion of the season he was struggling (and yes that is expected for any player his age), yet he manages to pull off a decent season.

The reason San Jose is deadly is because we are stacked on offense. Heatley, Clowe, Setoguchi, Couture, and McGinn can easily (yes I say with a lot of confidence...easily) make up for Marleau's production.

Heatley - Thornton - Setoguchi
McGinn - Pavelski - Clowe
Couture/Mitchell/Malhotra
Ferriero - Nichol - Ortmeyer

Hell if you want a little bit of padding, sign someone like Nolan, Comrie, or Morrison.

On a side note, let Nabby walk and sign Toskala. He's a good goaltender that was caught in a HORRIBLE system. Even good goalies can have their psyches messed up. I'm sure he'd be willing to sign a 2/2.5 mil for a one year contract.

Last edited by param: 05-04-2010 at 08:13 AM.
param is offline   Reply With Quote