View Single Post
Old
05-04-2010, 09:27 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrap View Post
I can't believe people are still on the whole "Nylander wasn't a first line center" thing.

Here are his stats from 05-06 and 06-07.

05-06: 81 G, 23-56-79, 4 G 0-1-1 in the playoffs
06-07: 79 G, 26-57-83, 10 G 6-7-13 in the playoffs

For THOSE TWO SEASONS he was a true #1 center.

I'm not saying Christiansen is a #1 center. But if he puts Gabs in a position to score 50 goals and 100 points then what is the problem. We should be more worried about having a guy to set up Dubi/Cally/Drury and the like.
If you're talking to me, I was very upset that we let go of Nylander. That was an amazing line with him Jagr and Straka. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It's the idea that having Christensen as our number 1 center doesn't come close to equating what other teams have at that position. It doesn't matter if there's chemistry or not, the fact of the matter is that Erik Christensen isn't the best possible option for that position. In fact, there are a boatload of more capable and fitting pivots for that role.

Jagr knew his game well and that he would mesh w/ a Nylander. We don't know if this would be the same w/ a inconsistant waiver wire pick-up in Christensen and Marian Gaborik. It's a risky situation. Christensen was playing for his life pretty much. He had to play the best hockey of his career being the situation he was in.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote